The Secretariat of the Inter-American Defense Board held on May 5th the presentation of the Study on the Possible Components of a Cyber Defense Strategy for the Island Caribbean countries. The event was attended by several representatives of the Caribbean countries, CICTE (OAS), William Perry Center (Professor Bitencourt) and also of the IADB member countries.
During the opening words of the presentation of the Study, Vice-Admiral Bento Costa Lima Leite de Albuquerque Junior, Director General of the Secretariat of the Inter-American Defense Board, noted that since October 2013, when the IADB received the document number 155 / 2013 where the Permanent Mission of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago, on behalf of members of the Caribbean Community - CARICON, requested a study of Possible Components of a Cyber Defense Strategy for small island states of the Caribbean, several important actions were taken such as:
- Participation in seminars held in the Washington area.
- Information gathering, through study and research.
- Conduction of workshops with countries with experience in cyber defense area in order to meet different strategies and doctrines.
- Conduction of meetings with representatives of countries that are part of CARICOM, to discuss about it and view the realities of each nation.
- Visitation of companies and government entities that have knowledge on the subject.
After the words of the Director General, an explanation of the study was conducted, during which were discussed important points of it.
At the end of the event, Vice Admiral Bento stressed in his words that a significant task has been completed by the Secretariat of the Inter-American Defense Board and the presentation and delivery of the study not only marks the completion of the fulfillment of a mandate of the OAS, but the beginning of a process that goes through analysis and improvements of the study and then made the symbolic delivery of the study to the representative of the Delegation of Trinidad and Tobago.